Wednesday 28 January 2015

Days 27-28: "Daughters"

Sponsor me by clicking here!

Today's theme: "Daughters". Image taken from the article "Not without our daughters"
My fitness challenge: My goal is to do 3 x 30 supported pull-ups at Level 1 by 30th January 2015. And to write a poem everyday.

This post is dedicated to my mother Helen, as I am her daughter. Also to my deceased daughter who would have turned 30 in 2015 had she lived. Symbolically, to all daughters.

And to 8 month old Aria. May your journey be resilient, compassionate and hopeful.

My progress: Yesterday my challenge came uninvited. My mother, who has Alzheimer's, had a fall and was taken to the local hospital where it was found she has two "teardrop" fractures in her L1 & L2 vertebrae. These will self-heal, so she was back to her care facility by late afternoon. I spent the day caring for her at the hospital. My physical challenge was met by doing assisted lifting. I think had I not done the 30for30 challenge I would not have been able to do the lifting as confidently as I did. 

To day I went back to the gym, knowing I have only 2 days left in the challenge (oh no!!). I did a range of tasks designed to warm my shoulder muscles and build my resilience.

Oh and I achieved 1 x 10 at 75 kl lat pull-downs in addition to 2 x 30 at 62.5 

Poem
I am doing a combined poem for yesterday and today. [Edit: Can't get this one right.] [I think I am deeply hopeful and positive, despite life's challenges, so I find it hard to be a grump in a poem].

Daughters
each week in my newsfeed:
"if you love your daughter hit share"
pisses me off.
[srsly].

My mother's daughter is angry
every time a pink puffed up smug
meme lands.
she says: love all daughters -
fight for them:
your daughter is alive, right?
fed? well-dressed? pink?
But:
[My daughter is addicted to ice
My daughter is a sex worker
My daughter was kidnapped by ISIS and is a sex slave
I had to sell my daughter for the family to have enough food
My daughter's forced "marriage" is daily rape
My daughter was abused by her uncle
My daughter is starving
My daughter is gay, transexual, wants to be a man
My daughter is sick, disfigured, disabled
My daughter can't read
My daughter has a black dog calling]


Merilyn Childs 28/01/2015
















No comments:

Post a Comment