Monday 5 January 2015

Day 5: "What hope looks like"

Sponsor me by clicking here!

Today's theme is "What hope looks like". Photo above shows viral meningitis

My fitness challenge: My goal is to do 3 x 30 supported pull-ups at Level 1 by 30th January 2015. And to write a poem everyday.

My progress: Today I did time at the gym. I tested my progress towards my goal, and achieved 1 x 30, 1 x 20, 1 x 13, then I waited 5 minutes and did another 1 x 20 supported pull-ups at Level 1. So I am feeling more positive about achieving the goal I've set myself. [At the start of the challenge I could only do 1 x 25, 1 x 20 and 1 x 12]. In 5 days, I've improved! I've also improved in other ways. 

Today's Poem:

what hope looks like
he screamed during the spinal tap.
"He has meningitis". There it is.
We can't block out that sound.
6 weeks and he has taken his first step.
Curtains wide open, no looking away.
He is bandaged and needled.
We make phone calls.
We wait. We cling. We keen.
There is a room full of mothers
sleeping on the floor.
Impossibly, I am one of them. 
There is air-conditioning
and a play room, and 

People speak in whispers.
Family come and go.
Time is hot.
We are melting.

Then: the thermometer makes friends.


Merilyn Childs 5/1/2014

[My son contracted viral meningitis at 6 weeks. He is now 25 and well.]

World Vision 2011.
We can make a difference and reduce the incidence of meningitis around the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment