Saturday 24 January 2015

Day 23-24: "The struggle against forgetting"

Sponsor me by clicking here!

Today's theme: "The struggle against forgetting"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/quinnanya/
My fitness challenge: My goal is to do 3 x 30 supported pull-ups at Level 1 by 30th January 2015. And to write a poem everyday.

My progress: I've been sad these past 2 days. Perhaps my poem "View" might give you a clue as to why. That said, I've done my challenge each day. Yesterday I walked 3 km, and today I did work at the gym. I made the following post on my 30for30 fundraising page: 
I am incredibly excited to say that on Day 24 of my 30for30 challenge I have achieved my fund-raising goal. Thankyou so much to my supporters, you are amazing! Your money is going to a wonderful cause. Follow my journey at http://30for30mc.blogspot.com.au/ And I don't mind more sponsorship either!!
I don't like sentimental quotes often posted in Facebook like "life is an up and down hill journey". Doh! But doing this challenge began from a position of sadness and strength, working together to make a difference. Sometimes that sadness is my biggest challenge. I tried to use today's theme to explore infant funerals in the developing world - but I found the exploration tough. I also kept coming up against a very western view of child death: lots of teddy bears. Lots of assumptions about the resources and infrastructure available.

Poems:

...forgetting
For the first time Mum
your world
was nothing more
than an ice-cream bowl.

Merilyn Childs 23/1/2015



The struggle against 
When I die
my dust will be lain with yours
under the azaleas.
Passing strangers might say your name-
And: "Oh look, mother and child
Isn't that sad".

Merilyn Childs 24/1/2015


The title of today's theme is drawn from a quote in Kundera's The Book of Laughter and Forgetting (1999)

“The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting”

No comments:

Post a Comment