Saturday 27 December 2014

Counting down! Minus 5 days til the 30for30 challenge begins!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/artgrafx/ 

Poem I wrote within days of my daughter's stillbirth (1985)

Somewhere in the morning
between the first and second song
I still look for you, fledgling
Once broken winged, 
now, fully perfect in your flight
I: blind/eyed, see.

It's true: some babies die. The following award winning documentary was ground-breaking in its day - 1986. When my daughter was born in 1985, there were no materials about child loss in Australian hospitals, and certainly very little support. The film "Some Babies Die" was screened on the ABC and was important in my journey of grief. I cannot re-watch it  now. Watch the trailer: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/somebabiesdie [Warning: this documentary is graphic, sad, as well as uplifting].

Although "some babies die" for all sorts of reasons at birth, and in the first 30 days after birth - the world is a better place if they do not. Fewer babies die now from neural tube defects, for example, because of the ground breaking work that identified folic acid as important to the early healthy growth of a foetus. Raising money for World Vision is one way of helping improve infant health!


No comments:

Post a Comment