Friday 26 December 2014

About my 30for30 Fundraising Challenge



Welcome to my 30for30 everyday hero fundraising blog for World Vision. I am joining World Vision’s 30for30 Fitness Challenge to help raise money for infant health. World Vision reports that 'weak immune systems and an inability to control regulatory functions – like maintaining body temperature – make newborn babies particularly vulnerable to infections such as pneumonia and meningitis. But 70 percent of those deaths are preventable'. We can help prevent them by raising money to help stop millions of unnecessary infant deaths. 

My reasons are also personal. In 1985 my first child died at birth. In 2015, had she lived, she would be turning 30. Some years later, my youngest child contracted viral meningitis at 6 weeks old. Fortunately, he survived. Unlike my daughter whose condition was incompatible with life, so many babies can be saved if given the right care - as my son was in a well equipped, modern western hospital with well-trained staff. Not all babies are as fortunate.

I'm doing the 30for30 challenge to raise funds to improve infant health - and to remember. Please consider donating by clicking here. I'll be recording everyday of my 30 days fitness achievements in this Blog!

About my challenge 

Fitness is as much about resilience of mind and spirit (whatever that means for you) as it is about the body. It is also about social well-being - and in my reckoning this means building a more socially-just world. My 30for30 fundraising challenge will therefore bring these things together, expressed each day through a physical goal as well as a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment